Wednesday, December 22, 2010

On a Major Sugar High!

I've been munching on cookies all day, and I'm a bit punchy!  Can't seem to sit still, so I thought I'd get the guest room ready for our son's arrival tomorrow.  And as I was clearing out some stuff that got put in there, I saw the quilt stand with my antique red and green basket quilt on it and just knew I had to share it!

I've seen so many wonderful red and green quilts lately in the blogs, and I totally forgot that I had one!  When things are out of my sight, they are totally out of my mind!  Sheesh!


I acquired this sweet little quilt at the local quilt shop, when the owner was having a garage sale a few years back.  She had it in a big ball in the corner, and I saw it and asked if she was selling it.  She said it's really torn up, but what about $5?  I said GREAT!  Can you believe it!?!  I'm never that lucky.....never!

This little baby came home with me, and has been on the quilt rack ever since.  It IS very torn up, but it is still a beauty in my eyes!


There are some (to me) really amazing aspects of it......first, the green basket bottoms are a trapazoid, so there are funky angles to piece, not just the usual triangle bottom with right angles.  Second, the border with pieced red end blocks was put on in circular fashion, not the usual both sides on and then the top and bottom.  So with the circular fashion, you go round and round, and you get to the end and EEEK....a set in seam!

The basket handles are appliqued on, but she could have more easily pieced them.....but no.....she appliqued!  I love that!  It just seems that so much extra effort was given to the piecing of it.  It's also hand quilted, in a 1/2 inch grid that is fairly random in placement, and doesn't follow the same direction from block to block.

Yep, it's very worn and torn, and I think that makes it extra special to me!  It looks fabulous on the quilt rack, and when I put it back in my sewing room.....it will be my inspiration piece!


Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

regan 

6 comments:

  1. That quilt is a beauty!! I'm glad it found a home with you. It is odd that the handles are appliqued but as you said it makes it more a labour of love. the wide red sashing is really striking. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find! I'm sure you'll take good care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt was fun to look at! I'm happy that it found a good home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the vintage, worn quilts. I have one that is a signature friendship quilt with the date 1930 on it. It was on the ground at a yard sale, with stuff for sale on top of it. Everything she was selling she would say - a quarter - when we asked the price - so I asked if the old quilt was for sale - and she said - sure, a quarter. So I got me a wonderful, worn, sad old quilt for 25 cents. It needs one end completely cut off - about a foot or so - it looks like someone wrapped something in the back of a truck and let it flap so the edge is very shabby. But other than that - I fold it on the quilt rack and just love the soft green and white fabrics - solids - in the quilt, and I love to read the embroidered names on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and funky basket quilt. What a great find. I'll give you $10 for it.
    If you have a minute, come see my antique quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling vintage quilt! I am sure it looks great in your sewing room : ) Thank you for linking up to Vintage Quilt Thursday.

    ReplyDelete