Friday, December 10, 2010

Two quilts by Christmas! Oy!

I can't believe it's been over a week since I blogged.....AND I haven't raved about my new machine yet!  Sheesh!  My new Juki is AMAZING!  It is so fast, and so smooth, and hubby says it's totally quiet (I've been sewing into the wee hours while he sleeps) and I just love EVERYTHING about it!  Yay Juki!

I think it was the night I got the machine, my hubby and I were trying to figure out gifts for our dear friends in Massachusetts.  We've known them for over a dozen years, and before she was able to speak English (she's Lithuanian).  Her parents are here visiting (have come over several times since the Visa difficulties were remedied) and we just love them all so much!  They are lovely people, so caring and generous, but they have everything, so what do you get them!?!

So, silly me says "Ya know, I have so many quilt tops already made, I could make them one, and her parents one, too!  That way, they have something from America to have with them when they go home."

I don't know what came over me when I decided to do it, but that's the plan!  And I need to get them in the mail by the 17th!  That's my deadline!  Just do it, right!?!

Incidentally, we don't do gifts with anyone else but these folks!  My hubby and I decided many (20+) years ago that we had all we needed, and we didn't need to do gifts for each other, for xmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.  It was always such a struggle to come up with something, and the money was tight then, too, so we've just always done it that way.  Takes ALL the pressure from the celebration.  We do a nice meal out, or for the holidays, the usual feast, but no gifts.  A few years ago, we got the kids and spouses on it too, as we said "This way, you can save your money and visit more!"  And it's worked out very nicely!  Of course, our grandson still gets gifts, because kids should!

Ok, back to quilts....

So, I had one of Bonnie Hunter's tops I'd done a few months back, all in blues, and I also had the pieced back done for it, so this one was the 'quickie'!  It's not bound yet, but I finished the quilting on it last night (2:00 am)!


The one for her parents is just a top right now, so I will be piecing a back tonight (after I get home from work at 10:30 pm) and will hope to get it sandwiched tomorrow before I go to work, and then can start the quilting on it!  It's loaded with calicos, but it has a nice vintage look to it, and it's very calm in colors, so I think it will suit her parents very nicely.....they are VERY quiet people! 


These are both queen sized quilts!  Oy!  But my Juki had NO problem dealing with the bulk!  LOVE IT!

The spiderweb, needless to say, will sit on the bookcase until the 18th!  And then it's back to work on that border!

Have a great day!

regan

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you're a wonder woman!! I've been trying to get a few teeny weeny mug rugs finished so I can get them in the mail and here you are quilting queen size quilts!! They both look wonderful and I know they'll be treasured by the recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the calico/brown quilt! I'm so into calm and cozy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your quilting is amazing, I sure love all the eye candy and just wish I had the patience (and time) for quilt making. Thanks for being a follower of my site! I am excited to see all the projects you make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness, these quilts are AMAZING!! You are quite talented, indeed!

    I just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting and following my blog! I really, really appreciate it! I'm following you back, cheers!!

    ReplyDelete